The leaders in District Three have provided leadership in Altrusa International at many levels. Four International Presidents have come from District Three: Ernestine Milner of Greensboro, NC; Lucile Spillers Alexander of Jacksonville, FL; Barbara Ann Hughes of Raleigh, NC and Donna Johnson of Gainesville, FL. Eva Ulrich of Columbus, GA.; Cindy Schad of Ocala, FL;Donna Johnson of Gainesville, FL and Beverly Hardy of Starke, FL have served as International Treasurer. Current Parliamentarian Colleen Duris continues her service as Parliamentarian for the International board. Countless leaders from District Three served as International Program Coordinator and as chairs of the Altrusa Information, ASTRA, Community Service, Bylaws, Resolutions and Recommendations (BRR), Extension, International Relations, Literacy, Membership, Public Relations, and Vocational Services committees. These committees existed until 1997, when the International Board presented and the membership accepted the new designations of: Communications, Leadership Development and Training, Membership Development, and Service Program Development. The committees for ASTRA, BRR, Finances, and Nominating carried through this transition. One District Three member served on a special committee to research the feasibility of relocating the International Office and another served on the special committee to reorganize the structure of the International Board. Leaders from District Three continue to contribute at the International level in many ways.
District Three currently comprises the states of Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina, but when Altrusa International instituted the system of districts in 1930, these states were part of District Two. That district, one of 10 formed at the time, also included Maryland (or Delaware, depending upon the source of information), Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia. In 1953, the districts were realigned, and District Three comprised the current states and Virginia. Seventeen years later, in 1970, the districts were once again realigned, and District Three took on its current composition.